Regional Technology Development Sites
AVIN brings together industry, academia, and governments to capitalize on the economic opportunities of Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (C/AV), while supporting the province's transportation systems and infrastructure in adapting to these emerging technologies.
The Regional Technology Development Sites include the creation of locations that enable Ontario-based small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to develop, prototype, and validate new technologies, access specialized equipment (hardware and software), and obtain business and technical advice.
Each site supports the development of new technologies and has a unique focus area:
- Durham Region — human machine interface (HMI) and user experience.
Partners: Spark Centre (part of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs) in collaboration with the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT), UOIT’s Automotive Centre of Excellence (ACE), Durham College and the Region of Durham.
- Hamilton Region— multimodal and integrated mobility.
Partners: Innovation Factory (part of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs) in collaboration with McMaster University, Mohawk College and the City of Hamilton.
- Ottawa Region— vehicular networks and communications.
Partners: Invest Ottawa (part of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs) in collaboration with Carleton University, University of Ottawa, Algonquin College and the City of Ottawa.
- Southwestern Ontario Region (London and Windsor) — vehicle cybersecurity and cross-border technologies.
Partners: Windsor Essex Economic Development Corporation (WEEDC) and London Economic Development Corporation (LEDC) in collaboration with University of Windsor, University of Western Ontario, Fanshawe College, St. Clair College, City of Windsor, City of London and WETech Alliance and Tech Alliance (both part of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs).
- Toronto Region — artificial intelligence for connected and autonomous vehicles
Partners: MaRS Discovery District (part of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs) in collaboration with the University of Toronto, Ryerson University and York University.
- Waterloo Region— high-definition (HD) mapping and localization.
Partners: Communitech (part of the Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs) in collaboration with the University of Waterloo, Waterloo Region Economic Development Corporation and Canada's Open Data Exchange.
The six Regional Technology Development Sites are located in Waterloo, Ottawa, Hamilton, Durham Region, Southwestern Ontario (Windsor and London), and Toronto and carry out the following activities:
- Enabling physical sites in regional innovation incubators and accelerators that SMEs can use to develop new C/AV products and technologies as well as test and validate technologies, and house prototyping capabilities
- Providing access to specialized equipment, hardware, and software that will reduce the barriers to innovation for start-ups and SMEs in the C/AV sector
- Providing business and/or technical advisory services to start-ups and SMEs in order to assist in the commercialization of technologies developed at the sites
Each site focuses on a unique aspect of the C/AV space (e.g. hardware, security, data analytics, etc.).
How to Engage
- Participants (defined as SMEs having fewer than 500 full-time employees) and Partners (defined as organizations providing in-kind and/or cash contributions to the Project) with operations and intending to carry out their projects in Ontario are invited to take advantage of this program.
- Typical project activities include: technology development, demonstration, product/service validation, testing, and proof of concept.
- Participants and respective Partners will have the opportunity to be showcased at AVIN events and at the Demonstration Zone in Stratford Ontario
Programs and Services
Each regional technology development site offers access to physical space, technology platforms, as well as business/technical advisory resources.
How to access services
Interested Participants can access the Regional Technology Development Site services by contacting RTDS representatives.
Contact information will be posted shortly.