AV R&D Partnership Fund - Stream 2
As a pillar of the Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network (AVIN), the AV R&D Partnership Fund will support projects related to the development and demonstration of technologies in the Connected and Autonomous Vehicle (C/AV) sector, in the following Priority Areas:
- Mass light vehicles (e.g., cars, trucks and vans)
- Heavy duty vehicles (including commercial vehicles, trucks, buses, recreational vehicles (RVs), and others used for goods movement)
- Transportation infrastructure
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS)
- Transit-supportive systems and vehicles.
For eligible project Applicants and Partners:
- Commercialization of Ontario-made technologies
- Demonstration of Ontario-made technologies to potential customers
- Relationships with researchers to extend company R&D
- Marketable solutions to current challenges
- Public/private partnerships
- Increased road safety
- Better road condition monitoring
- Better collection and analysis of transportation-related information
- Innovative new products and services to reduce driver distraction
- Reduced environmental and carbon footprint
How Funding Works
The AV R&D Partnership Fund may support approved projects with up to $1,000,000 over a maximum of 24 months for Stream 2. All funds must be matched by a minimum 2:1 cash from Applicants and/or Partners.
An application to Stream 2 can also embed a funding request for interns and fellows from the AVIN Talent Development program.
- Minimum one Applicant and a Partner (An Applicant is an SME (generally defined as having fewer than 500 full-time employees) with a minimum 2:1 cash match by Applicants and/or Partners.
- Applicants and Partners required to have operations and carry out their projects in Ontario.
- Projects can be up to 24 months in duration.
- This program is not intended for research to prove feasibility or basic technology research. Projects should be at Technology Readiness Level 3-7 (proof of concept; 7: operational environment functional demonstration).
- Typical project activities include: technology development, demonstration, product/service validation, testing, and proof of concept.
- Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs)
- National and Multi-National Enterprises (NEs and MNEs)
- Publicly-funded Post-Secondary Academic Institutions
- Indigenous Communities
- Not-For-Profit Organizations
Projects must be carried out between one SME, the Applicant, and one Partner from the Participants list. Additional Partners can also join the project. For Stream 2, publicly-funded post-secondary academic institutions cannot act as Applicants. There is no limit on the number of Partners. Partnerships should represent significant potential commercial opportunities for all industry Applicants and Partners.
How to Apply
Stream 2 of the AV R&D Partnership program contains two stages: an Expression of Interest (EOI) and a Full Application.
To begin the EOI submission process, please complete a client intake form. An OCE Business Development Manager (BD) will contact you to discuss the opportunity and assist you with developing your EOI. Your OCE BD will also maintain oversight responsibility for the OCE components of any approved project.