About the Program
CATALYZING THE GROWTH OF A VIBRANT AND DIVERSIFIED AUTOMOTIVE AND TRANSPORTATION TECHNOLOGY ECOSYSTEM IN ONTARIO
The Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network (AVIN) builds upon Ontario’s position as a world-leading automotive manufacturing and supply jurisdiction in addition to the large cluster of information and communication technology companies operating in the province. Ontario’s high-quality post-secondary institutions, first class talent, innovative small and medium sized enterprises and infrastructure to support entrepreneurship ensures that the province is uniquely-positioned to capture the economic opportunity of the connected and automated vehicle (C/AV) technology space and lead the global mobility evolution. Through resources such as research and development (R&D) funding, talent development, technology acceleration, business and technical supports, and demonstration grounds, AVIN provides a competitive advantage to Ontario-based C/AV companies – allowing Ontario to reinforce its position as a North American leader in transformative automotive technologies, as well as transportation and infrastructure systems.
This initiative capitalizes on the economic potential of C/AVs and is expected to help the province's transportation systems and infrastructure plan for and adapt to this emerging technology.
AVIN is comprised of four distinct programs and a Central Hub.
Areas of Focus
AVIN’s four distinct programs focus on supporting the development and demonstration of C/AV technologies, including infrastructure, related to: commercially ready technologies for application in mass light vehicles (e.g., cars, trucks, and vans), heavy-duty vehicles (including commercial vehicles, trucks, buses, recreational vehicles (RVs) and others used for goods movement), transportation infrastructure, intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and transit-supportive systems and vehicles in Ontario.
AVIN has five main objectives:
- Commercialize C/AV and transportation and infrastructure system technologies;
- Build awareness, educate and promote Ontario as a leader;
- Encourage innovation and collaboration;
- Leverage Ontario talent; and,
- Support regional auto-brainbelt clusters.
The AVIN Central Hub is a dedicated team that supports delivery and administration of AVIN programming, and provides the following key functions:
- Connect & Coordinate - a focal point to help coordinate among industry, academia, research organizations and governments, and connect interested stakeholders and members of the public;
- Opportunity Identification - knowledge translation, research, data/information and trend analysis, acting as a bridge between technology and policy; and,
- Awareness & Education - promote AVIN programs and Ontario's AV testing pilot, build awareness of Ontario's growing C/AV community.